Translate

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas in Chiang Mai

We are staying in Chiang Mai for Christmas, and because of the combination of the resident expat population and Thai hospitality, it does feel a little bit Christmasy. There are Christmas trees, Christmas carols and numerous offers for traditional turkey dinners at restaurants.

There are, however, a few differences from Christmas back home. This was the first time I have ever eaten Christmas breakfast outside, and orange and yellow are the colors everywhere, not green and red.


After a wonderful breakfast Gord and I headed out to visit Wat Phrasingha and enjoy the Lanna style temples.


I was really annoyed at some tourists brazenly photographing a group of monks deep in meditation, Gord had to explain to me that they were made of wax (the monks, not the tourists).  Wow, could have fooled me! It's true that they never blinked, but  I thought that maybe after years of practice they could do that.



Christmas in Thailand would not be complete without the contortions of a traditional Thai Massage, which we experienced at a massage school located in a temple.  Ah... It hurts so good!   

We are staying at the lovely Plern guest house and our host has offered to put on a Thai buffet for a few of us. Gord and I are happy to skip the tempting turkey feeds for good home cooked Thai food.

1 comment: