Translate

Monday, October 23, 2017

A Wild Night


It was forecast to rain last night for the first time in a week.  I therefore ensured that I was in a shelter rather than the tent.  What I had not anticipated, however, was the wind.  It was blowing on the ridges all day yesterday, but the intensity increased toward nightfall.

Unfortunately, unlike the Plumorchard Shelter, where we weathered the remnants of Hurricane Nate, Walnut Mountain Shelter is open on the side facing into the wind.  It is also an old log shelter, built in 1939, with gaps in the walls and the sleeping platform.


The forest canopy took the brunt of the storm, roaring to different degrees as the wind rose and fell.  Fortunately the rain was not too heavy, but the wind driven mist and rain did manage to dampen my gear, including the sleeping bag.  The noise kept me up much of the night, so I finished reading A Passage to India and started on The Grapes of Wrath.


It was rather exciting to listen to the storm, secure in the knowledge that the stout shelter would protect me from falling branches.  It is also life affirming to find that you can comfortably weather such foul weather.  Is this a good time to quote Nietzsche, who famously said "Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger?"  I may not be stronger, but I think I at least have the energy to hustle the 13 miles into town for pizza and beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment